Monday, October 10, 2011

Dear haters, I hear you. But I choose not to listen.

Sometimes in high school, drama is unavoidable. Personally, last year I had a lot of problems with some particular girls in my grade. So I made a pact to myself not to surround myself with the type of people who are bound to bring drama into one’s life. All summer, I did not talk to any of these people, not even once. The funny thing is, I had no drama all summer; I had no problems with anyone, I did not get in one fight, I had no troubles. I believe this says something about the maturity level of some of those in my grade. Although, now that we are back in school, I have a harder time steering clear of these people and it seems that drama has re-entered my life. It seems that some people don’t have enough real problems in their life, so they have to make problems. I, for one, have enough real problems, and so I don’t need their extra stress. So it seems that I need to find some new ways to avoid these kinds of people. Here are some tips that I have found helpful in avoiding drama:
  • Be trustworthy. Never tell one of your friend’s secrets. It is hard to find trustworthy people in this world; you do not want to be known for having a big mouth. Be the person that can keep their mouth shut.
  • Know who you can trust. If someone has been known for spilling secrets before, maybe you need to use a little wisdom and discretion when talking to them.
  • Avoid drama directly. If you see a drama happening around you, stay out of it. Don’t stick your nose in other people’s business. Do not needlessly get involved.
  • Consider everything you say and do to be public, especially through technology. If you wouldn’t want someone to hear something you say or see something you do, avoid texting or IM-ing the info. How many times has somebody shown you a text or IM that was not intended for you?
  • Do not get easily offended. Do not overreact, or take things too personally. You need to be able to take some constructive criticisms.
  • Communicate on issues. Try not to wait until you have boiled over to communicate your issues. Don’t let things build up, address problems immediately. Explain your feelings to a friend who has offended you right away so that they do not have to deal with your detailed list of 101 offenses later.
  • Be real. You will be found out if you are being fake. Plus, it is annoying to see two people embrace and be giddy in seeing each other, only to walk away saying, “I can’t stand her.” If you have a problem with someone, let them know where they stand.
  • Do not gossip. Gossip is a relationship killer. Avoid saying things about people that you wouldn't say to their face.
  • Do not listen to gossip. Listening and giving your ear to somebody gossiping is just as bad as gossiping. Cut gossip out of your life.
  • Be honest. People will respect you more if they know that they can trust you to tell the truth. Do not try to cover up your mistakes; admit to them, apologize, and move on.


Hopefully these tips are helpful. They are things to keep in mind, but no one is perfect. Even I have trouble with some of these things sometimes. In the meantime, here are some things to consider:
Haters are like crickets. Crickets make a lot of noise; you hear them, but you can’t see them. Then when you walk right by them, they’re quiet.
Pay no attention to those who talk behind your back; it only means that you're two steps ahead of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment